How our first offer unraveled

A lot has happened since we last spoke. Beau and I made the offer on our dream house. The realtor countered on behalf of the seller. We then counter offered after a day of rumination on whether or not more money would be worth this house.

Coincidentally, I bumped into the seller later that week on a random Brooklyn street (truly a small world) and sort of very casually brought up our prior offer and how excited we were to hear back from them and wondered what took the realtor so long to respond (she was taking 48 hours to respond to our e-mails which feels like a lifetime after placing an offer on a house).

Home owner looks at me as if I said the world was ending on May 21st and says “what offer are you talking about? The realtor never told me you placed an offer”.

Ex-squeeze me!

Shocked and appalled, I explained the entire story to her and described what I thought we had going on as a “battle of the bids” with her countering us twice. She reiterated that she never received ANY offers from us and decided her husband should get involved. Later that night we spoke to said husband and he was pretty livid that the realtor was not representing him as her contract so explicitly states that she should be. We decided that they should provide the realtor with the additional information we asked for and would wait until she contacted us. A few days later she did and failed to produce the documentation we requested.

I am thoroughly annoyed and appalled at how unprofessional this realtor has been towards us. From the beginning, she disappointed us with her lack of knowledge and information regarding housing and mortgages (i.e. FHA) and the condescending manner with which she treated us for going through the FHA. Add to that the fact that she is being dishonest with both prospective buyer and seller and it was enough to turn us off to this place completely. I felt like royal wedding girl.

I admit I was very saddened by this and initially did not want this incompetent fool to come in the way of us and our dream house. Alas, our deal became more tenuous as the week went on and Beau and I decided to explore other options.

We did find another place, in a much nicer location with walkability, something very important to us both. We’ll be viewing it tomorrow and decide how to move forward from there.

As always, I’ll keep you posted.

M in brooklyn


About Maya

I like words like "labyrinthian," "kerfuffle," and "serendipitous" because they're mellifluous. I love poetry, pumpkin ales, sangria, long summer days, Fall foliage, going out of my way to step on crunchy leaves in October, live music, Jazz, Salsa dancing, theater, film (foreign and indie), the arts (myriad varieties), dance (in theory and practice) and any place where I can sit outdoors and take it all in.
This entry was posted in Brooklyn and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to How our first offer unraveled

  1. C Buchner says:

    Major bummer. Listen, if you guys have any real estate questions or what not shoot ’em my way, my mother works for one.

  2. Victoria says:

    I just stared reading your blog and didn’t know the full details of this story– what the heck! I guess things worked out for the best, but I’m learning what a tricky/emotional/exhilarating/exhausting process this all is. Valuable thoughts you’ve posted, Miss M!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s